The "Madonna Di San Sisto."
This work of Raphael's belongs to the most brilliant period of the great master. According to Vasari, it was painted in 1518 for the high altar of the convent of the Benedictines of St. Sixtus at Piacenza, and remained there until Augustus III., Elector of Saxony, and King of Poland, resolved to purchase it. It was not until twenty years later (in 1753), that, through the intervention of the painter Carlo Giovannini of Bologna, it was finally purchased for the Dresden Gallery, the sum of eight thousand pounds being paid for it. The sellers reserved the right to have an exact copy of the picture, which should, according to custom, remain in the place of the original, and continue to pass for it. In November, 1753, Giovannini himself bore the picture to Dresden. The king, impatient to see again this long-desired masterpiece, ordered it to be immediately unpacked and displayed in the castle. When it was carried into the throne-room, they hesitated to put it in the most favorable place in regard to light, for that was exactly where the throne stood. The king, perceiving this, hastily drew aside the throne-chair, saying, "Make room for the immortal Raphael!" This painting has remained ever since the prized masterpiece of the Dresden Gallery. It was painted in 1518. The characters at either side and below the Madonna are Pope Sixtus and St. Barbara. The two cherubs in the lower part of the painting are known as "Raphael's Afterthoughts."